Mr Ryan Nattrass is a barrister first called to the Queensland Bar in May 2022. Previously, Ryan practiced as a solicitor in national and international law firms for 8 years both in Australia and in the United Kingdom.
Ryan has particular interest/expertise in:
- Civil and Disciplinary claims against professionals;
- Commercial Law and Equity;
- Coverage issues for Insurers;
- Inquests and Inquiries;
- Public and Administrative Law (including Judicial Review and Merits Review); and
- Regulatory prosecutions.
Ryan has also practiced in the areas of:
- Public Liability and CTP;
- Industrial Relations and Employment Law (including disputes under the Public Service Act 2008 (Qld)); and
- Taxation Law (having worked for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs in London, litigating test cases in complex and high value tax avoidance schemes).
Ryan is also a sessional academic at the QUT Faculty of Law and teaches in Torts, Evidence, Equity & Trusts, Human Rights and Legal Research.
Relevant experience includes:
- Acting in the 2020 Mason Lee inquest;
- Assisting in the Barrett Adolescent Centre Commission of Inquiry;
- Acting for professionals and regulators in relation to disciplinary and fitness to practice matters;
- Successfully defending a firm of auctioneers in a claim of breach of contract and negligence;
- Successfully defending solicitors in relation to professional negligence claims; and
- Representing insurers vis-a-vis coverage involving multi-million dollar artworks.