Angela Rae’s principal expertise is in commercial litigation and advisory work, as well as estate matters. In particular, she practices in:
- company law disputes, including regulatory matters
- professional liability of directors and officers, particularly in financial advice
- insolvency (both corporate and personal)
- disputes involving partnerships and incorporated associations
- product liability (both manufacturers/suppliers and consumers)
- equity and trusts
- contract and real property disputes
She acts for companies and individuals of all sizes, including liquidators, banks, directors & officers, regulators, manufacturers and family estates.
Recent matters include acting for the special purpose liquidators of Queensland Nickel Pty Ltd (including obtaining freezing orders for over $500M of assets); acting for the majority shareholder in a $6M oppression action; and acting for the Commonwealth in relation to the insolvency consequences of a terminated statutory scheme. She also regularly acts in trust and estate matters, currently including a $6M estate with assets in Australia and Europe.
Angela has a professional interest in “plain language” drafting and is a member of Clarity International. She has spoken internationally on topics such as drafting by committee and challenges with self-represented litigants. For several years she operated a consultancy assisting clients with writing clearer documents.
Additionally, Angela speaks Japanese fluently, completing part of her law studies at Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo and postgraduate research at the Australian National University.